Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Labyrinthine

I think the most interesting city I've ever been to is a lone industrious city in The Brink. I never caught the name of the place, and the inhabitants never put much emphasis on it. These inhabitants are very friendly and quite expansive. However, they seem to take almost no interest in anyone. Either they expect the same sort of enthusiastic self-descriptions, or they present a different face to outsiders. Their friendliness removes any thought of egotism, although they can be tiring.

The most interesting thing, which the inhabitants hardly recognize, is that the city itself is a labyrinth. More properly, it is a maze. The citizens seem not to notice that their city exhibits any unusual properties, and find their way around without any hesitation. Only once was I not helped when asking directions-- the reply I got was "I haven't been in that part of the city, sorry." It's as if their city exhibits some logic that cannot be deciphered by foreigners.

Stranger still (although only in retrospect) is a feeling of nostalgia or deja vu that seems to float like a fog in that place. Everything feels familiar, as if I had just recently forgotten what was around that next corner. It could be that the construction of this city resembled other cities I had been to, or it could be the vague notion that I wasn't actually lost-- that I had been to this part of the labyrinth before. Either way, the city was rather eery, yet very pleasant.

*-*-*-*
Hurray, Albert!

On another note, I recently picked up Labyrinths (coincidence, I swear), a collection of translated stories by Borges. I was hoping it would have A Dialog About a Dialog, but it does have The Avatars of the Tortouse and The House of Asterion, so it isn't a complete Loss... Also, it has almost all of the stories in Ficciones, which by themselves make it work while.

I need to get back my copy of his complete fictions, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

No comments: